NITRONIC® 60W Datasheet
Cr 17.2, Mn 8.2, Ni 8.6, Si 3.9, N 0.12, C 0.07, Fe Bal.,
P 0.03, S 0.02, Cu 0.75 max, Mo 0.75 max
High Performance Alloys stocks and
produces this grade in the following forms: Weld Wire
Request quote on this grade.
- Download Nitronic® 60W Brochure 545 KB PDF
- Download FDA statement concerning the use of stainless steels as food contact surfaces of equipment. 154 KB PDF
AWS 5.9 Class ER218 / ASME SFA 5.9 Class ER218
ER218 / UNS S21880
DESCRIPTION / APPLICATION:
- ER218 is most often used to weld Nitronic® 60 base metal. REF ASTM A276, ASTM A240, AMS 5848, ASTM 479, and ASTM 193/194.
- This filler metal can also be used in welding dissimilar alloys like mild steel and the stainless steels, and also for direct overlay on mild steel for corrosion applications when used with the gas metal arc welding process.
- ER218 is a nitrogen strengthened, high manganese-silicon austenitic stainless steel exhibiting high strength and good toughness over a wide range of temperatures.
- Weldments in the as-welded condition made by using this filler metal provide one of the best combinations of strength and ductility when subjected to carbide precipitation.
- Applications include fasteners, engine valves, shear pins, bushings, shafts and other areas where galling resistance is required.
|0.07||17.2||8.6||0.75 max||8.2||3.9||0.03||0.02||0.12||BAL||0.75 max
TYPICAL MECHANICAL PROPERTIES:
|TENSILE STRENGTH||123,000 PSI
|YIELD STRENGTH||85,000 PSI
|IMPACT STRENGTH||50 FT-LBS 73ºF, 10 FT-LBS @-320ºF
|AS DEPOSITED HARDNESS||25 RC
MIG 25 lbs. spool 0.030” Dia, 0.035” Dia, 0.045” Dia, 0.062” Dia
TIG 36” 10lbs. tubes 0.062” Dia, 0.078” Dia, 0.093” Dia, 0.125” Dia, 0.187” Dia
TYPICAL WELDING PARAMETERS FOR ER218 (NITRONIC® 60W) WIRE:
GMAW (SHORT CIRCUITING MODE):
|WIRE DIA.||AMPERAGE||VOLTAGE||WIRE SPEED IN./MIN.||JOINT THICKNESS INCH||SHIELDING GAS
|70 - 90||18 - 24|
17 - 20
|150 - 200||0.050 - 0.187||90He/7.5Ar/2.5Co2
|0.045”||75 - 160||19 - 22|
18 - 22
|175 - 225||0.125 - 0.750||75Ar/25He
ALL PARAMETERS DIRECT CURRENT REVERSED POLARITY
GTAW Parameters same as 300 series stainless steels.
The gas tungsten arc, plasma arc, and electron beam processes are not suggested for direct application of this filler metal on mild steel.
The weld deposit has little or no ferrite. Care must be taken to avoid hot cracks. This is accomplished by low heat input and making “convex” bead profiles. Excessive weaving may also cause surface (hot short) cracks.
NITRONIC® Registered trade name of AK Steel
High Performance Alloys, Inc.
444 Wilson St
Mon-Fri 8am - 5:00pm